Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Military Changes


I became an Air Force wife this past year. It is definitely a change. It's a good change. I like moving a lot. I have moved 18 times in my life, 10 times since I got married 5 years ago. Since my husband will be stationed at Offutt for at least 3 years, it will be the longest we have lived in one place since I got married. You would think that I would be itching to move again by the time the USAF decides to relocate us. That just isn't the case; I already hate the thought of moving again.

We have only been here 2 months, and already I feel more at home than I have at any of our other temporary homes. I have a group of wonderful girlfriends, (and those that REALLY know me are fully aware that I don't usually get along with other ladies. I am more comfortable hanging out with the guys!) We have a spacious house, wonderful neighbors, and a community that makes me feel safe. All of these recent changes have changed me in many ways. In the past I have always photographed outdoors, in natural lighting. I had a slight fear of using my own studio equipment. I realize it is completely irrational, but it is the fear of the unknown. For the first time, I want to use a studio. I want to use lighting, backgrounds, and props! I want to really start a photography business! I feel hungry for more knowledge in all things photography, from lighting techniques to editing skills.

I have been inspired by many photographers, but most recently I have been inspired by the military way of life. I want to work on a series of military inspired photos, from babies and family to pin up and boudoir. How could I not be inspired? Everywhere I go there are American flags, bumper stickers and car magnets, yellow ribbons, and men and women in uniform. For the first time in my life I feel like I am a part of something wonderful and special. Something that makes me open my eyes and forget about my own petty problems. There is a whole world out there, and there are people brave and selfless enough to protect it, protect us and our way of life. As I was writing this, I realized these people are my husband, my family… me... My new friends and my future friends. I feel so blessed to be part of something more.

I feel like my mind is full to bursting on ideas for photographs for future clients. Now I just need to get my skill and knowledge to a level that I am satisfied with. I need to get out there and shoot as much as possible, because with every click of the shutter, my knowledge and experience grows.

2 comments:

  1. That was written beautifully, I am so happy we are friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely understand that feeling of being a part of something incredible. I loved that sense of patriotism and connectedness I had while living overseas. Thanks for sharing and waking those memories for me

    ReplyDelete