Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Smiles on the Outside


So, today is the day. The dreaded day. My husband's first deployment. When my husband told me a few months ago that he had orders to deploy I wasn't very happy, for obvious reasons. My rational side told me that it was always highly likely that he would deploy, it's part of his job. I had to be grateful for small things; he would be home in time for Christmas and he is not going to Afghanistan. I am sure many military wives out there would love for their husbands to only be deployed for only 3 months. My irrational side is crazy and hates the fact that he is going. My grandfather was in the military for 20+ years and was never deployed, ever. I had decided that my husband was going to be just like my grandfather; home every night by 5:30.

After we said goodbye, I was a bit of a wreck. My sweet son said, "Mommy why crying? Daddy be home soon." I tried to explain to him that I was ok, and that I was only a little sad because daddy was leaving today. Now he won't let me out of his sight. If I turn my back to him for just a moment he asks if I am ok. If I tear up a little bit, he offers me something of his to "make you're happy".

I know that the first day will be difficult. By the second day, I will have the emotions under control. We will just stay busy until he comes home.

No comments:

Post a Comment